There is a wide range of boats to choose from depending on your needs and characteristics. Therefore, we give you some advice that can help you choose your first sailboat from Marinemax Houston or any other boat dealer.
First questions you have to ask yourself
These are the questions you should ask yourself before buying a sailboat.
What is my sailing plan?
When will I sail?
Who will I sail with?
Where will the boat winter?
What is my budget?
New or second hand sailboat?
It’s true that new sailboats allow you to customize them, but the cost is very high and you will have to wait a few months to enjoy it.
On the other hand, second hand sailboats are more recommended because you can enjoy them from the first moment; moreover, they are more economical. That’s why we have a wide variety of second hand boats at the best prices on the market.
Types of sailboats for beginners
If you are new to the world of sailing, we recommend that you opt for a 20-foot sailboat or one with a regatta profile from a boat dealer like Marinemax Houston.
- 20 feet
These boats are ideal for those who are starting out in the world of sailing. The 20 feet sailboats have a unique interior space, with cabin, bathroom and kitchen. It also has impressive dimensions that will help you learn little by little.
- With regatta profile
These sailboats are perfect because they are similar in size to racing boats, but they can carry 5 or 6 people on board. Their main objective is to achieve speed, so they don’t have much space in length.
Tips for buying a sailboat
Here are some tips that can help you make the purchase of your sailboat.
- Make a navigation plan: decide the type of navigation you plan to do frequently.
- Place of rest: a buoy, a mooring or in earth, the important thing is to know where you are going to keep your boat at night. In addition, you must make this action before the purchase because, depending on the dimensions of your area, you can choose a model or another.
- Hostile environment: weather conditions can condition your navigation, it is not the same to go out to sea in Galicia as in Ibiza, for example. Therefore, it is necessary to choose a sailboat that is adapted to your circumstances.
- Maintenance: all the elements of the boat require maintenance because the sun and water can damage them. Therefore, it is necessary to know all the parts of your sailboat so that, in some cases, you can check these damages yourself.
- Evaluate your knowledge: it is best to start with small sailing boats from Marinemax Houston, as they are more manageable and allow you to gain experience.
Large or small boat?
The size of a boat in this category should be one of the unavoidable considerations, size matters. Out of the water, small models are better handled than big ones, in the water, the other way around.
In any case, think in terms of safety and efficiency, you will win.